Saturday, January 10, 2009

FPP vs. Brookland


My new dilemma...should I enroll Wyatt at First Presbyterian Kindergarten or Brookland? He turns 5 in July, so I thought it would be a good idea to start him in kindergarten at fpp and then if he needed to repeat, I could do Brookland kindergarten the next year. Sounds like a good plan, right? I think it would be awesome, except that the kindergarten hours of operation are not conducive to my work schedule. MWF until noon, and tues/thur until 2:30pm. Holly will be going on tues/thur, so those days it wouldn't be a problem. But I'm nervous about the other days.
I would hate him to repeat kindergarten twice at the same school and wonder why his friends are going on the first grade. I will figure out something soon...I hope.
Sorry, I know i tend to ramble.

7 comments:

Amy Barrett said...

You aren't rambling at all! We had a similiar dilemna with Emma. Holding her back wasn't an issue because her birthday is in Nov. but I was obsessed for a while (almost a year) about where to send her. I would list my summations but that would be way tmi for your comment page! ha. Call or email me if you are interested. This seems like a hard decision to make- It's really not, but at the time it is huge! Been there!!!

Jenny said...

I'm having a hard time thinking about where Lucy will go too. My reasons are different from yours, but I'm right there with you in the decision trauma! :)

jcarter said...

Hey Heather,
I was faced with the same dcision- Max and Molly both have July birthdays. We did pre-k at Pres. and Kindergarten. But there were several that did what you are suggesting. I was working like you and Dennis worked in Osceola (with Max). It was hard but so worth the effort. I used a college girl 3 days a week and Carol Jordan was my back-up.
I know I am prejudiced but I can't tell you what a great start to school Mrs. Janice gives the kids. Max is in 5th grade now and HE swears he does as well as he does because of having Mrs.(Aunt) Janice! Of course, we think so too.

Good luck- Jackie C.

Danna Ramsey said...

You KNOW I'm right there with you! It's totally a financial thing with us right now. I'm 100% sure that's where Sophie needs to be (First Pres), not so sure how we will pay for it. Lots and lots of prayer is happening!

Stacy said...

um.... and you hound ME about spell check?????????
kidding. We have talked at great length about this and I know it is a tough decision. I don't know what the right choice is, but i know that you will make the right choice.

Anonymous said...

I think that if it's meant to be, it will work out. You have a lot of friends that, I'm sure will help out. And, if all else fails, hire someone to pick him up on MWF and drop him off at Nanas. Although, I will say (for purely selfish reasons) it would be nice for him and Abby to start at the same time.
P.S. For the thousandth time today, Abby asked me, "when can we go to Wyatt's and play?" Let's seriously get them together.

Kelly said...

I can't say enough great things about 1st Pres. Kindergarten, Heather. We just "tried it out" last year with Kellen, and are now convinced that we will send the next three on through Kindergarten at First Pres.! It is truly a unique situation, with a wonderful teacher and it's such a blessing to only have 12 5 yr. olds together, instead of 20-25! And, like you said, Wyatt would never know the difference that he was repeating K, if he did 1st Pres., THEN Brookland. I'm sure it will all work out, but that's just my two cents worth! Follow your and Stephen's "gut" and there are always lots of people who can help you make the logistics work out! Keep us posted with what you decide!